YMCA Literacy Program
The YMCA’s literacy program helps struggling young readers
in our community develop the literacy skills they need to succeed in life.
Since 2009, our literacy program and its team of volunteer tutors have:
- Provided free tutoring assistance to hundreds of children in the Nashville area.
- Increased reading and word comprehension skills by 1.5 to 2 grades per year among youth participants ages 6-18.
- Increased reading test results for preschool participants by an average of 63%.
Want help with your reading?
Literacy tutoring is offered at the following locations:
Margaret Maddox Family YMCA (East Nashville)
Northwest Family YMCA (North Nashville)
Harding Place Family YMCA (South Nashville)
Y-Literacy is able to make a difference in our community thanks to its caring group of volunteer reading tutors.
As a YMCA Literacy reading tutor you will:
- Receive all the tutoring training and instruction materials you need to help a young student
become a successful reader
- Commit to work one-on-one with a child who needs reading help for one hour a week for a minimum of six months (a commitment for
the entire school year is encouraged)
- Have an amazing opportunity to make a direct and positive impact on a child in your community
How to sign up
Tutors are currently needed at the following locations. To apply to become a volunteer
or get more information, email the program director at the location where you wish to volunteer.