We know it's important to you and your family to stay healthy and active during the summer months, but sometimes the hectic day-to-day schedules can get in the way of making the best choices for our families. To simplify things, the YMCA of Middle Tennessee recommends following a simple formula: 5-2-1-0.
Want to learn more about 5-2-1-0? Take a look!
Below are some staple go-to items for nutritious snacks!
Low Fat Dairy:
- Squeezable yogurt tubes
- String Cheese
- Yogurt Smoothies
- Frozen Yogurt
Fruits & Vegetables:
- Apple Slices
- Fresh Berries
- Melon Balls
- Celery Sticks with Peanut Butter
- Sliced Colored Peppers with Humus
- Baby Carrots or Cucumbers with Low Fat Dip
- Trail Mix with Nuts, seeds, whole grain cereal and dried fit
- Plain Rice Cakes— Spread them with your Favorite Nut Butter
- Multigrain Pretzels
- Whole Grain Cereal with or without Milk (look for cereals with at least 4 grams of fiber per serving)
Looking for ways to stay active and contribute to your child's active play per day?
Our pools are a fun way to get your child off the couch and away from the TV this summer! View our list of YMCA pools to find the location nearest you and be sure to take a look at our Summer Pool Guide!